Online Higher Education
Competency-based Education Video
Western Governors University (WGU), Sean Spear, Manager.
Dr. Spear is Manager of Compliance, Accreditation and Licensure for Western Governors University (WGU). Sean overseas the WGU accreditation process in 50 U.S. States. Sean has worked with WGU since 2004 and previously was a Department Chair where he developed and maintained online, competency-based curricula and assessments for science education. Sean’s personal mission is to help individuals, universities, organizations and companies fulfill their purpose personally and professionally.
Western Governors University was founded in 1997 by the governors of 19 U.S. states. The principal mission of Western Governors University is to improve quality and expand access to post-secondary educational opportunities through competency-based learning, independent of time and place. WGU online degrees are based on real-world competencies. WGU is serving more than 50,000 students from all 50 states.
NOTE: Links to sources and full transcript pdf at the bottom of this page.
- Technologically-enhanced Learning
- Competency-based Learning (1:48)
- Learning Outcomes and Costs (3:38)
- Compliance and Accreditation (4:26)
Full Transcript (pdf)
Other Competency Videos
Links Referred To In Video
- Western Governors University:
- Blended Learning:
- 7 Things About Flipped Classroom:
- 7 Things About Competency-based Education:
- NCATE Preconditions & Documentation:
- NCATE Unit Standards:
- NCATE Program Standards:
- NCATE Standards for Professional Development Schools:
- 2015 Grade Level: Tracking Online Education in the United States
- 2014 Open Educational Resources In U.S. Higher Education:
Dr. Gerard L. Danford