Online Higher Education
Instructional Design & Technology Video
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), Norman Bier, Director, Open Learning Initiative.
Norman Bier is Director of the Open Learning Initiative (OLI). Norman has spent his career at the intersection of learning and technology, working to expand access to and improve the quality of education.
The concept of the Open Learning Initiative (OLI) came from the idea of integrating Carnegie Mellon’s expertise in cognitive tutoring into whole online courses that would stand on their own and enact instruction. OLI was established in 2001 and currently offers 23 free courses (foreign languages, biology, chemistry, computing etc.).
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is a private research university founded in 1900 and enrolling more than 12,000 students. The university is especially known for its programs in science and technology. The University has campuses in Qatar and Silicon Valley and degree programs in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe and Latin America.
NOTE: Links to sources and Transcript PDF at the bottom of this page.
- Open Learning
- CMU Open Learning Organization (4:40)
- Learning Outcomes (8:25)
- Design Analytics (14:00)
Full Transcript (pdf)
Other Instructional Design & Technology Videos
Links Referred To In Video
- Open Learning Initiative- OLI
- Carnegie Mellon University-CMU
- MIT OpenCourseWare Project
- Hewlett Foundation
- UC Davis
- CAHIMS Course
- Masha Lovett
- CMU Office of Technology for Education-OTE
- CMU Center for Teaching Excellence & Educational Innovation
- CMU PEER Program
- CMU Pittsburg Science of Learning Center
- CMU Simon Initiative
- CMU, Judy Brooks
- CMU Accelerated Learning Study
- Tin Mark-up Model
- CMU Pittsburgh Science Learning Center: Data Shop Tool
- 2015 Grade Level: Tracking Online Education in the United States
- 2014 Open Educational Resources In U.S. Higher Education
Dr. Gerard L. Danford