Online Higher Education
Role Of The Library Video
University of Minnesota, David Ernst, Chief Information Officer (CIO), College of Education in Human Development.
Dr. Ernst is the Chief Information Officer and an adjunct faculty member in the College of Education in Human Development. As Executive Director of the Open Academics project, David is working to address access and affordability of higher education through the advancement of openly licensed textbooks. The Open Textbook Library is a depository of complete textbooks licensed so teachers and students can freely use, adapt, and distribute the material. Open textbooks can be downloaded for no cost or printed inexpensively.
The University of Minnesota is one of the nation’s largest schools and offers baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees in virtually every field—from medicine to business, law to liberal arts, and science and engineering to architecture. The Universities enrollment is 64,964.
NOTE: Links to sources and Transcript PDF at the bottom of this page.
- Open Textbook Initiative
- Learning Outcomes (5:41)
- Challenges in Adoption (9:09)
- Institutional Support (11:18)
- Partnerships (15:55)
Other Library Videos
- Monroe Community College (SUNY)
- Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)
- University of Minnesota (B)
- Stanford University
Links Referred To In Video
- The University of Minnesota
- The Open Textbook Library
- The Hewlett Foundation
- Press Books
- Lumen Learning
- 7 Things About OER
- Overcoming Barriers To Textbook Adoption (D. Ernst)
- Open Textbooks: Access, Affordability and Academic Success (D. Ernst)
- 2015 Grade Level: Tracking Online Education in the United States
- 2014 Open Educational Resources In U.S. Higher Education
Dr. Gerard L. Danford